WorkSafe issues more notices, shuts down Throsby siteBack
WorkSafe ACT has issued more notices to residential construction sites as part of its crackdown on safety in the industry, this time targeting the Gungahlin suburb of Throsby.
The independent regulator shut down one site in the suburb on Wednesday 21 April, due to multiple safety breaches which included an unsupervised electrical apprentice and a risk of falls.
Inspectors also issued 31 improvement notices, eight prohibition notices and four infringement notices, to the value of $11,520, across the suburb.
Of the 19 sites visited by WorkSafe last week, only one was compliant.
ACT Work Health and Safety Commissioner Jacqueline Agius said inspectors found issues like unsafe scaffolding, amenities not being maintained and workers not following safe work method statements.
“This is the third time we have been out to Throsby as part of Operation Safe Prospect,” Ms Agius said.
“I’m disappointed to see there has not been an improvement in work health and safety standards at residential construction sites in this suburb.
“We are well past the time for industry to take action and start improving the safety culture at residential construction sites.”